Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mcculloch 3216 Chainsaw Question



I recently inhereted this chainsaw from my dad and from the looks of things the took it apart not knowing what he was doing now I guess it is my turn first thing after following the starting instructions from the sticker tried to start it but no go so I replaced the spark plug and cleaned the muffler out best I could and got it started but smokes real bad and have a mixture of gas and oil coming from the muffler what is going on there and then went to Lowes and got some ProMix engine oil but not sure the mixture ratio do I empty out the gas A (not sure how old) pour in the oil the top off with fresh gas
Thanks for any info

beleive the old 2 strokes took a heavier mix of 32:1 2 stroke oil, to one gallon of gas, i would highly recommend not pouring in the oil into the tank, then some gas. just have a one gallon gas can filled with fresh gas, that pro-mix should have directions on measure 32:1, or its one of those bigger bottles that you can measure for various mix requirements. probablly why it smokes so much, is that you have the mix too thick. you did pick up 2 stroke oil mix, and not engine oil, engine oil designed for 4 stroke engines?

yes that is correct it is the 2 cycle engine oil 6.4 oz bottle so there is approx 1/4 tank of gas left what should I do with that and as far a bar oil the rep at Lowes said that he could sale some regular bar oil but it would be cheaper for me to go to the dollar store and just some tranny oil could I use this

Use bar oil. Transmission fluid is way too thin, and gear oil is not the same.

McCulloch - new or old - calls for a 40:1 ratio. In other words, 3.2 oz. oil per gallon of gasoline. And by all means pre-mix it in a seperate container and shake the container well before each top off. If you happen to use (and I highly recommend) synthetic oil, then you will mix at the oil manufacturers recommended ratio.






Tags: mcculloch, chainsaw, highly recommend, with fresh