Monday, March 10, 2014

Senco 702xp Framepro Nail Gun



I just purchased this gun and was 'testing' it on sum scrap 2x4s in the garage.
I set the depth so it would just counter sink the minium amount, setting is all the way out.
The problem I am having is the splitting of the 2x4s. The working pressure is from 70 - 120 psi and I think I was running about 100 psi.
Any ideas as to what can be the problem?

Good gun, I use the 602 with HDG nails for decking, where screws are not called for. If you are nailing on the end, they will split. You aren't getting splits on long pieces in the middle of the lumber are you? Yeah, 6 pieces of 2x4 will split from the shear shock you are putting into it. Tell us what you are testing on.

I am making nailing blocks for crown moulding.
The walls are 1 plaster/plaster board walls.
I tried using 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood and this seems to work much better as the nail gun does not split the wood.
I did turn up the psi to 120 pounds and set the depth so the nail head is just flush with the wood surface.
Also I am going to use longer pieces of wood, maybe 3' or 4' long.

All good. Yes plywood won't split out and the longer pieces will help even in handling. Watch your pressure. Set the nail gun depth gauge before you allow too much pressure in the gun. You can blow a gasket set really quick. I believe the gun is meant to operate at 90 psi. It has ceramic cylinder components so I don't believe you will lubricate that one, unless they changed from the 602 to the 702.

All my nail guns including the framer seem to work best at 90 psi
Yeah, shooting nails into short blocks of real lumber will cause splits, the plywood is a better choice






Tags: nail, longer pieces, pieces will, will split